8.18.2008

0L

Some people have urged me to start blogging (again) in preparation for going to law school and I'm starting to think that it might be worth it. I'm definitely a failed blogger - I did it for a bit in college but I didn't have the energy or the commitment to write regularly enough, or about interersting things, and I tried doing it a number of times without a lot of success. 

This time I'm going to do it differently - not do posts about my life or about what happened in Con Law class this morning or why I stayed up until 4 AM doing the reading (God I hope that doesn't happen). Instead I'll just pick an incident or two and note it. Maybe I'll draw conclusions, maybe I won't, but it's more fun to pick out the unusual, provocative, or fun moments rather than do this as a diary.

We'll see how this goes - and if I continue this past the first month of school. I hope so. 
--

Brief biography seems in order, right?

I grew up in Michigan, in the suburbs of Detroit, the youngest of three children. My sister is 12 years older than me and lives in Washington DC;  my brother is six years older than me, and has autism - he lives in a group home near my parents' house. My parents immigrated in the early 70s and are both doctors. I went to Columbia as an undergrad and studied English and creative writing. After I graduated, I went to go work at Random House as an editorial assistant. I loved the people and the free books, but I didn't love the dreariness of the work or the sinking feeling that there was no way to get ahead and no sense of a strong future in publishing.

So I decided to go back to school. I thought I wanted to leave New York, and I had thought strongly about going back to get my doctorate in English literature, focusing on twentieth-century American and Latin American literature. But I also wasn't sure about getting a Ph.D. with the job market being ridiculous tough and stressful, and I had thought about pursuing law after a class in college on plagiarism and copyright law in relation to post-colonial literature. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do.

So I applied to both law and graduate schools. At the same time. It was pretty dumb.

After the dust settled I ended up getting into some doctoral programs and a couple of good law schools. and I eventually decided to go to law school at the University of Michigan. It's a great program and I'm still kind of shocked that I got in, but it is definitely weird being back where I grew up (although I don't know Ann Arbor, or A2, that well). Leaving New York was harder than I thought it would be, but now that I'm back in the Midwest I'm weirdly eager to start school, to see what's going to happen, and to find out if I can handle it. I hope so. 

A piece of good luck is that a friend from college just finished her first year at UM Law, and she's been helpful so far in helping me figure out what's going on. 

--

Classes this term are Intro to Constitutional Law, Torts, Property, and Legal Practice I & Legal Practice Skills. The last two are sort of combined and are about the practice of the law (duh) - writing, etc. Con Law and Property are pretty self-explanatory; Torts has to do with civil matters that don't arise from contractual duties - assault, battery, defamation. All the good stuff, right?

I'm living alone off-campus from the Law Quad, which is on-campus and has a dorm-like environment. It's a bit of a hike to classes, but that's ok - I'll have a car and a bike, etc. 

That should be it for now. More TK.

No comments: